Sunday 4 December 2011

Srikanthan's Story

My name is Srikanthan Sivarajah

I am a refugee from Sri Lanka

One day when I was out fishing with my Uncle our boat was attacked by the Sri Lankan Navy. They were firing at us with machine guns. My Uncle was killed on the spot and I was shot several times in the stomach. I fainted from the pain and when I woke up I found I was on a different boat surrounded by members of the LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam). They took me to their camp and treated my injuries. The leader of the camp asked me to join them. I agreed and was given weapons training. During my time serving the LTTE I was injured by gunshots in my shoulder, hand and head. Because I didn’t receive proper treatment my injuries became incurable and I can’t move my left hand or shoulder even today. In 2002 the LTTE and the Sri Lankan government signed a ceasefire agreement. The LTTE gave me a short period of leave to see my family. While I was at home I fell in love with a girl from my village and we got married.

When the LTTE asked me to resume my duties I told them I wouldn’t. I told them I wanted to stay with my wife and that I couldn’t fight because of my injuries, but they wouldn’t listen. They put me in prison for two and half months. When I was released they made me do office work. After a few months, I had the opportunity to escape and I went to my wife’s house. I stayed with her in hiding, supported by her relatives and by charities who came to the area after the Tsunami in 2004. This was the year we had our first child, a baby boy. His sister was born a year later.

After a change of government in 2006, the government started targeting LTTE members, their families, supporters and anyone linked to them. I was very afraid. If the LTTE found me I would be severely punished for running away, and would be in great danger in the heart of the fighting. If I was caught by government forces I would be killed. My wife’s family raised the money to pay an agent to get me out of Sri Lanka. I travelled to Negombo Airport with the agent. He told me to follow him through the immigration control without talking to anyone. When we arrived in England I called my cousin who lives in London and he came to pick me up.

After I was granted refugee status I applied for family reunion and my wife and children came to join me. My cousin helped us find a house but couldn’t afford to support me now that my family had arrived. Me and my wife went to RMNS and saw the advice worker Anna. She helped us to apply for benefits including Disability Living Allowance. When we get any letters we don’t understand we take them to her and she explains what they mean and helps us reply. Anna invited us to the free English classes at RMNS. I go every week and my language is improving.

I have terrible memories of what I saw in combat with the LTTE. I can’t sleep at night even though the doctor has given me sleeping tablets. Anna suggested that counselling might help. She arranged for me to meet a therapist at Sutton Counselling, now I see her every week.



To protect Srikanthan's identity, his name has been changed. This video clip puts his story in context. The full length film: Sri Lanka's Killing Fields can viewed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment